Last February, a 96 year-old Pennsylvania woman died. The cause? Sepsis related to multiple bedbug bites. The following week, police executed a search warrant at the home in which the woman had been staying and immediately noticed that the place was literally crawling with bedbugs - and when you see them out in broad daylight, you've got a major infestation. The homeowner, who had been taking care of the old woman and another, blind woman, told police that she'd been trying to get rid of the bedbugs with products purchased at a store, but was unable to afford an exterminator. The blind woman, who was removed from the home, said she could feel them crawling on her, and they bit her as well.
The homeowner/caretaker, one Deborah Butler, was charged earlier last week. She faces neglect of care, a first-degree felony, as well as involuntary manslaughter, a misdemeanor.
I didn't realize that involuntary manslaughter was only a misdemeanor. Learn something new every day.
I do know something about bedbugs, however, as my wife picked them up at a Holiday Inn Express motel in Newport, Oregon last year. She stayed there while doing a two-day training session for parents and educators, and they hitched a ride home with her - the bugs, that is. It cost $1200 and a full day to get rid of them, but believe me, it was worth it.
What? No, we won't be staying at that motel.
In any case, all clothing goes directly into the dryer on high heat for 40 minutes as soon as anyone who's been staying at a hotel or motel gets home. The bugs can't take heat of 118 degrees or higher.